Posted by: Craig PalliMarch 27, 2013
This post originally appeared on Chief Marketer.
The mobile revolution isn’t coming—it’s already happened. If the early bird gets the worm, then those with early-adopter advantage will be quick to disrupt, steal market share and monetize mobile.
Many brands have already invested to bolster their mobile presence. Coca-Cola invested $10M in Spotify and Starbucks $25M in Square. Aetna bought iTriage, and Nordstrom and Priceline acquired Hautelook and Kayak respectively.
There’s no time to waste. Mobile apps are already part of our cultural fabric, the go-to source for news and entertainment replacing radio, TV, and the “traditional” Web. In fact, 82% of smartphone users say they couldn’t go a day without their apps, according to Apigee.
Mobile apps must become central to your business strategy—they need to be more than just a “hey, we’ve-got-one” check box in your marketing plan. Put simply, without a strategic, organizational commitment to mobile marketing, brands risk losing competitive edge.
“With more than 360 billion downloads between 2008-2017, apps cannot be ignored as an important channel to reaching customers,” says Josh Martin, director, apps research at Strategy Analytics. “Big brands have recognized this trend and have begun making apps an essential component of their strategy. As the market continues to evolve so must the marketing, capability and functionality of apps to continue to drive downloads and user engagement.”
Sizing the potential
Researchers project enormous revenue growth from mobile apps and advertising. In fact, businesses like Groupon, Zillow, and Yelp that started on the Web are already driving more revenue from mobile. Facebook has more mobile than desktop users. Pandora reports 75% of listener hours via mobile. And it’s not just digital businesses—Walgreens, for example, reports 40% of all digital prescriptions come through mobile.
The mobile app marketing opportunity
Apps are a lifestyle mainstay. Ahead of the 2012 U.S. presidential election, five of the top 10 apps in the Apple’s App Store were election-specific or news-related. During Hurricane Sandy, news and weather apps skyrocketed. Right now, two of the top 10 apps are NCAA tournament-focused.
Brand marketers are rapidly realizing that mobile apps provide an incredible canvas because the connection they build is fundamentally different than other channels. Mobile delivers richness and reach—plus targeting and pervasiveness—at a significantly lower cost.
Two household names, Coke and Disney, recognized this early on. Tom Daly, Coca-Cola group director of mobile and search, told me recently: “Establishing a ‘mobile community’ within The Coca-Cola Company represented an opportunity to focus the best marketing minds within the system to collaborate and create best-in-class mobile marketing programs, share and learn best practices, and evolve our strategic approach to mobile. This approach plays an important role in accelerating the pace at which are can capture the value of mobile.”
Similarly, Disney is leveraging hundreds of apps spanning multiple lines of business to globally promote brand engagement. Case in point: Disney’s Where’s My Valentine app reached No. 1 in games in 69 countries, No. 1 overall in six countries, and is in the top 10 overall in almost 100 countries.
So it costs a lot of money, right?
Not so. Mobile app marketing is actually cheaper than other marketing options. According to the Fiksu Index, the average cost to acquire a loyal user (someone who opens an app 3 times) ranges from $1.20 to $1.50. That’s equivalent to the cost of a Google AdWord click, which drives a one-time Web page visit, compared to a downloaded and repeatedly used app on your customer’s device.
It’s this incredible cost-efficiency, combined with the size, immediacy, reach, and targeting of mobile app marketing, that makes it so attractive to brand marketers.
Profit from opportunism
Opportunity lies in leveraging technology advancements or timely cultural or news-driven events.
For example, Walgreens leapt on Apple’s Passbook and catapulted its app into the top 10 on September 9, 2012, driving more than one million downloads. ABC’s Oscars app reached No. 12, securing more than 100,000 downloads. Similarly, Coke and Samsung had great success with Olympics apps last year.
Bottom line: your audiences are already on mobile, and it’s where they prefer to engage. Brands must go big with mobile app marketing in 2013, or play catch-up.
Posted by: Viki ZabalaFebruary 14, 2013
This post -- written by our Craig Palli -- originally appeared on Boston.com.
With more than 1.5 million apps in the Apple and Android app stores, mobile app marketers face the enormous challenge of achieving discoverability, sustained user engagement and, ultimately, monetization. Successfully marketing your app requires more than strategic mobile media buying and compelling, creative advertising. High-performance mobile app marketers have a laser-like focus on targeting and acquiring loyal users – those who take a specific action, such as an in-app purchase or registration. It's these loyal users who become repeat customers, word-of-mouth advocates, and deliver real, ongoing ROI.
The following eight tips for marketing your app are focused on driving more of these loyal users. They're based on more than 70 billion user-based app actions, including launches, registrations, and in-app purchases, as well as real time bidding requests recorded on our platform, and they're proven marketing tactics for putting your app ahead of the competition:
- Establish goals for loyal users. Exactly what constitutes a loyal user will vary from app to app – perhaps it's opening the app a certain number of times or completing an in-app purchase or registration – so define that metric before launching any acquisition campaigns. You'll also need to determine your lifetime value per user so you can set cost-per-conversion targets (i.e., determine how much to pay for different traffic volumes to deliver the best possible ROI).
- Promote your app across several traffic sources. There are several types of traffic sources for mobile apps: ad networks, real-time bidding exchanges, incentivized download networks, and more. Using just one source – or even one from each general type – gives you too small a universe to be successful. You'd be missing out on valuable opportunities to identify the best sources for large volumes of loyal users. In fact, working with several traffic sources can improve loyal acquisition results by up to five times.
- Track post-download activity. As your mobile ad campaigns are running, it’s critical to track users’ post-download activities and tie this data back to its traffic source, ad creative, and other campaign variables. This helps to pinpoint which specific traffic sources and campaigns are driving your most loyal users – not just the most downloads.
- Optimize ad campaigns in real-time. By analyzing real-time data, it’s possible to eliminate inefficient ad spending and shift budget to those traffic sources and campaigns that are delivering loyal users.
- Employ a campaign optimization solution. Optimizing advertising campaigns based on post-download actions is challenging but there are automated solutions available. Instead of managing a huge matrix of ad networks, costs, creative, downloads, and conversion rates, it's worth investigating a solution that incorporates everything and adjusts your campaign spending on the fly.
- Conduct ongoing closed-loop analysis. Continuous analysis of marketing campaign performance, post-download usage and revenue return helps you understand, at a granular level, what's moving the needle. It’s important to dive into these analytics frequently to fine-tune campaign planning and align with marketing objectives.
- Conduct a loyal user acquisition test. Not convinced that the concept of marketing specifically to bring in loyal users will produce results? It's easily testable. Assign a portion of your marketing budget to a test that employs the above-recommended strategies. You’ll gain valuable insights into how a loyal user acquisition strategy can directly impact your bottom line.
- Benchmark performance against industry averages. The best way to improve your mobile marketing results is to more precisely understand the competitive landscape you're pouring your budget into. By benchmarking how your mobile app marketing stacks up against industry averages, you’ll gain a larger, more accurate picture of the trends impacting your business goals, allowing you to adapt and plan with more agility.
Mobile app marketing shouldn't require guesswork. By deploying these tested strategies and tactics, mobile app marketers can achieve high-performance results that not only drive business objectives, but also acquire large volumes of loyal users.
Posted by: Viki ZabalaFebruary 4, 2013
Last week, Facebook crossed a significant threshold, announcing for the first time, it has now more mobile users than desktop users: 680 million daily mobile active users, to be precise. For app marketers, Facebook presents a massive opportunity, but reaching out to and acquiring volumes of loyal users has always been an expensive and complex challenge and one that Facebook itself has wrestled with.
Today this changes.
Today we are thrilled to announce the integration of the Fiksu Mobile App Marketing Platform with Facebook to support optimization for Facebook mobile app installs. With this integration, Fiksu becomes one of the first mobile advertising platforms to combine centralized media purchasing and world-class optimization with the expansive audience that Facebook delivers.
Through this integration, mobile app marketers can now make precise media buys that tap into Facebook’s massive audience, providing an extremely efficient new channel to acquire large volumes of new, dependable loyal users. What’s more, they get to blend their social media and mobile app user acquisition programs into one cohesive program, a longtime desire for many app marketers.
If you’re a mobile app marketer looking to understand the changing landscape for app promotion across social media platforms, we’ll be hosting a webinar Thursday, March 14, at noon ET: “How to most effectively use social media to generate mobile app installs and loyal users.” Be sure to join us for this interesting and informative discussion.
Posted by: Viki ZabalaJanuary 9, 2013
Still waiting on an iPad Mini that Santa forgot? Fiksu might be able to help. All you need to do is refer a friend or colleague and we'll give you a free iPad Mini as a thank you.
We take it as a great compliment when our clients recommend that their contacts work with us, so we're excited to launch our new Refer a Friend program which makes it easy for anyone to make a referral – and allows us to say thank you.
The program is simple: introduce your friends, clients, or other contacts to Fiksu so they can reap the benefits of our high-performance marketing platform. In return, for any new client you refer, we'll give you a free iPad Mini.
Sound easy? It is – there are just a couple of conditions. Your recommendation needs to become a client within 60 days, with a minimum spend of $20,000, to earn the iPad. And if you already got an iPad Mini for the holidays (lucky you), we will alternatively donate the full cost of an iPad Mini to the charity of your choice. (Full terms and conditions are on the Refer a Friend page.)
In summary, it's just three easy steps:
1. Send in your contacts' information on our Refer A Friend page
2. They become a Fiksu customer
3. We send you a brand new iPad Mini
We reward those who spread the word about Fiksu!Tags:
Posted by: Viki ZabalaDecember 18, 2012
We have some exciting news to share before the holidays: we’ve recently been named the Most Effective Mobile Advertising Platform in Mobile Marketing Magazine’s Effective Mobile Marketing Awards. It’s a humbling and inspiring honor -- the U.K-based publication commended us for our efficiency and effectiveness as a mobile advertising solution, validating the technology innovations we've been introducing all year.
The Effective Mobile Marketing Awards recognize companies worldwide that are revolutionizing the mobile marketing industry. We were one of more than 200 entries across 19 categories, and we were chosen over six other companies nominated in the same category, as highlighted in our profile in the magazine's December 2012 issue.Our Fiksu Platform was the heart of our win. The platform powers high-performance app marketing through a combination of advanced optimization algorithms that target advertising at those most likely to become long-term loyal users, along with unmatched scale.
International recognition is extremely exciting for us, as we continue to grow our global presence. We recently opened a U.K. office in the heart of London’s thriving digital media district. In fact, we’re looking for talented and hardworking individuals to be part of our fast-growing team. If this sounds like you, come check us out at www.fiksu.com/company/careers, or get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to the entire Fiksu team and our customers for all the success and momentum we’ve achieved in 2012!
Photo Caption: Fiksu's Enterprise Sales Director for EMEA, Tim Jones, collects the award for the Most Effective Mobile Advertising Platform at Mobile Marketing Magazine's Effective Mobile Marketing Awards.
Posted by: Viki ZabalaDecember 13, 2012
It’s been a busy few weeks for Fiksu! Last week, in between stops at the Game Monetization Summit, Mobile Gaming Europe, and AppNation, we debuted FreeMyApps for Android. Today, we’re introducing a number of innovative enhancements to our flagship Fiksu Platform that make it the first and only platform to provide comprehensive tracking, centralized media buying access, advanced optimization, and detailed reporting for mobile app marketers. Put simply, it's a high-performance platform for mobile app marketing.
At the center of these updates is our new powerful reporting and analytics dashboard for tracking mobile app advertising performance and media spend. Our platform also now features the most technologically advanced approach to attribution and tracking for real-time bidding (RTB), removing the guesswork from bidding and buying decisions and solving the historically difficult problem of mobile targeting.
We recognize that a robust mobile advertising platform is the future of mobile app marketing, and we're committed to leading the charge. We’ve already seen impressive results for our customers’ user acquisition programs, including up to 60 percent reduction in media costs, up to a three-time increase in loyal user acquisition, and significant revenue for 30 of the top 50 grossing gaming app publishers.
Here’s a quick look at the new and enhanced features:
- New analytics dashboard: The new Fiksu dashboard provides full transparency into mobile advertising performance including detailed statistics on post-download behaviors such as purchases and registrations. It equips marketers with deep, customizable analysis into loyal user acquisition and monetization tactics by ad network, campaign, country, and device, moving targeting beyond CPI to focus on what really matters: finding users that engage and monetize.
- Tracking and attribution: With five patents pending around mobile ad tracking and app marketing, our platform delivers the most accurate, measurable results and the greatest buying power. A multitechnology approach, including UDID, Advertising Identifier, Digital Fingerprinting, HTML5 cookies, and MAC Address tracking, enables access to more than 225 billion global monthly impressions across hundreds of ad networks, real-time bidding exchanges, social networks, and premium publisher sources.
- Broadest campaign tracking: Our platform now allows marketers to track all their campaigns by providing tracking links that can be used to monitor and report on social media, email, QR codes, and other campaigns — all in one central location within the Fiksu dashboard, regardless of the campaigns’ origins.
- Centralized media buying: We can now connect app marketers to more than 95 percent of all available iOS and Android inventory. Our platform’s ad buying capabilities are fueled by recent enhancements to our demand-side RTB platform, enabling the most value through targeted, highly cost-efficient media buying. Unparalleled technology advances give us access to this valuable RTB inventory without the need for UDIDs or identifiers.
- KnowledgeBase: Our platform draws upon 59 billion tracked app events, with an additional 1.7 billion added every week, to deliver unprecedented insights that drive precise targeting, removing guesswork from bidding and buying decisions.
We are truly excited to launch the new platform and looking forward to continued growth in 2013.
Posted by: Viki ZabalaDecember 7, 2012
It's been an exciting first year as we built out and nurtured the FreeMyApps platform, which has quickly become the go-to destination for eager consumers interested in discovering new apps. In fact, the FreeMyApps platform has more than 750,000 monthly active users.
The beta version of the FreeMyApps Android app can now be downloaded from freemyapps.com for both smartphones and tablets, and the full version will debut on Google Play later this month. The Android FreeMyApps community is expected to ramp up quickly as the hundreds of thousands of current FreeMyApps users on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches will be able to do cross-platform social sharing with their friends on Android devices.
FreeMyApps offers users iTunes and GooglePlay gift cards for discovering and engaging with apps and games, which then pumps money back into the app ecosystem through in-app purchases and the purchasing of paid apps. Users can also select gift cards from Amazon.com, Groupon, Fandango, Hulu+ and more, and will soon be able to redeem their credits to donate to their favorite charities.
Posted by: Viki ZabalaDecember 4, 2012
Is a new smartphone at the top of your Christmas wish list? If so, you're not alone. Last year, 6.8 million new iOS and Android mobile devices were unwrapped and activated on Christmas Day. And more than 1.2 billion apps were downloaded in between Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.
The holiday season screams opportunity for mobile app marketers. It may indeed be “the most wonderful time of the year,” but it’s also the most competitive time of the year. So we’ve teamed with Localytics to help marketers weigh the best strategies for sprucing up their apps for the holidays, cost-efficiently promoting them, and securing large amounts of engaged, loyal users – during the holidays as well as into the first few months of the new year.
You can also catch our joint on-demand webinar – How to Market Your App During the Holiday Season – for additional details and tips.
Thanks to ADOTAS for helping to spread the word.
Embed this graphic on your site - 400 pixels wide
<div><a href="http://www.fiksu.com/successful-strategies-for-holiday-mobile-app-marketing"><img src="http://www.fiksu.com/images/Fiksu-Holiday-IG-400px.jpg" alt="Successful Strategies for Holiday Mobile App Marketing"></a></div>
Embed this graphic on your site - 650px wide
<div><a href="http://www.fiksu.com/successful-strategies-for-holiday-mobile-app-marketing"><img src="http://www.fiksu.com/images/Fiksu-Holiday-IG-650px.jpg" alt="Successful Strategies for Holiday Mobile App Marketing"></a></div>
Posted by: Viki ZabalaNovember 16, 2012
We have some exciting news to share – our founder and CEO Micah Adler has been named a 2012 Tech Luminary by the Boston Business Journal and Mass High Tech. One of 30 recipients, Micah this week was commended as one of the drivers and influential leaders of New England’s thriving innovation economy.
This prestigious honor recognizes Micah’s achievements in bringing positive change to the mobile ecosystem and building a sustainable, growing business in New England. In the past year, Micah’s vision helped us successfully develop the Fiksu for Mobile Apps platform, which solves the many challenges mobile app marketers face as they strive to achieve app store discoverability and secure high volumes of loyal users.
As Micah was overseas at the Smartphone & Tablet Games Summit in London this week, I accepted the honor on his behalf at an awards reception and networking event at the House of Blues in Boston. At the event, Mass High Tech bestowed 15 Tech Luminaries, and the Boston Business Journal spotlighted 15 Rising Stars under age 30 in Massachusetts business.
In addition to Micah’s personal award, we as a company were recently named one of the Boston Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work” and one of The Boston Globe’s “Top Places to Work” in Massachusetts. These accolades were made possible because of Micah’s strategic guidance, continuous innovation, and unwavering leadership in pushing our business forward in this dynamic and ever-changing mobile sector.
Congratulations, Micah, on all your successes. We couldn’t be prouder, we share your passion, and we look forward to many more accomplishments. And congratulations to all the Tech Luminary and Rising Star recipients – it’s an honor to be transforming the New England-area technology landscape with some of the best and brightest minds in the industry.
Photo Caption: Fiksu CEO Micah Adler with his Innovation All-Star award.
Posted by: Viki ZabalaNovember 5, 2012
At Fiksu, we've built a culture of innovation, communication, collaboration, and support, and consider our team to be our number one asset. That’s why we’re so honored to share that Fiksu was named one of 2012's “Top Places to Work” by the Boston Globe this week.
This distinguished annual award is based on surveys of the people who know us best – our employees – who individually offered feedback on compensation, benefits and creative perks, work/life balance, diversity in the workplace, and career growth opportunities. Fiksu was also named one of the Boston Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work” earlier this year.
Fiksu was selected as a winner out of more than 300 nominations and more than 81,000 employee surveys. We were featured alongside this year’s other Top Places to Work winners in this week’s Boston Sunday Globe, as well as on BostonGlobe.com and Boston.com.
This award is reflective of our smart, dedicated, and passionate team, and we are very grateful for all they give to Fiksu each and every day. We’d like to give a huge thank you to the entire Fiksu team, here in the Hub and around the word. This is your award – thanks for making Fiksu a “Top Place to Work!”
We continue to grow quickly, and are looking for smart, passionate, energetic people to join our team. We have a full-tilt work environment filled with some of the best, brightest people with whom you'll ever work – not to mention the chance to help some of the most well-known brands successfully harness the power of the burgeoning mobile marketplace. If you share this same DNA and are ready to jump in, roll up your sleeves, and join a team that's making a mark in the red-hot world of mobile, then we'd love to hear from you. Visit us at http://www.fiksu.com/company/careers for more details.
(From left to right) Lisa Martin, human resources & recruiting; Micah Adler, CEO, president & founder; and Robert Chirwa, client data integrity analyst, accept Fiksu’s award as one of the Boston Globe’s Top Places to Work 2012.